Today there are millions of patients living in the U.S. suffering from lymphedema (primary or secondary) and its complications. Manual Lymph Drainage and Complete Decongestive Physiotherapy is the only effective treatment for this condition. Europeans have been treating this condition for over 50 years. Since the education is limited in the medical community and with patients, many are suffering who do not need to.
- Manual Lymph Drainage and Complete Decongestive Therapyis the treatment of choice for the condition known as Lymphedema. Lymphedema is a condition that arises when the lymphatic system does not work properly, due to missing or impaired lymph nodes due to radiation, lymph node dissection or scarring. Swelling of a limb (arm or leg) and or the upper or lower trunk (front or back) are results of lymphedema. This is a rich protein fluid which is a rich host for bacteria. If not treated lymphangitis or cellutis conditions can occur which often result in hospitilazation. This is seen more with lower extremities.
Lymphedema causes pain, swelling, infections, (hospitalizations) lifestyle and emotional changes.
- Primary lymphedema - Occurs at birth, in the teen years, or mid thirties. Usually one or two legs, or one side of the body is involved.
- Secondary lymphedema - Occurs from radiation, lymph node dissection, abdominal surgery, hysterectomy, prostate or trauma to an area.
- There are two phases of treatment.
- Phase 1 - Decongestive Phase - The lymphedema therapist manually drains the limb or trunk that is swollen and redirects the lymph to the closest lymph nodes which can purify and filter the lymph. The limb is then bandaged to keep the lymph from re-accumulating. This is done until the limb is decongested as much as possible. Skin, and nail care education is done, drainage exercises are taught and self-lymph drainage is taught.
- Phase 2 - Maintenance Phase - A compression garment is
then fitted for the limb along with education, bandaging, drainage
- The Academy of Lymphatic Studies is the leading school in the U.S. for the training and certification of health care professionals in this specialized treatment technique. They have offered certification classes in the U.S. since 1994. Donna is certified with the Academy of Lymphatic Studies to provide this treatment.
Donna can educate you on and treat your condition with Manual Lymph Drainage/Complete Decongestive Therapy. You will learn how to manage it, minimize it and live with it in the most effective way. You do not have to be alone.